A grand. exclusive equestrian and sporting estate.
Mas Mateu, an eighteenth-century Spanish estate with a world-class equestrian centre has retained all the grandeur and style associated with its pedigree while remaining accessible and pampering, offering all the luxuries and comfort one expects from an establishment of this kind.
The main house comfortably sleeps 25 guests, making it ideal for a private family getaway or intimate wedding. A graceful, arched doorway leads into a series of inviting lounges, with magnificent views over the Emporda and the Pyrenees. Cool alabaster walls frame the grand salon's majestic fireplace.
Each bedroom is distinctively decorated in delicate tones. Sink into a deliciously deep oval bath, surrounded by glass walls that open onto the surrounding forest or enjoy a truly Catalan dining experience – a Spanish banquet freshly prepared by the in-house chef under the stars on one of the many open terraces or in the elegant dining room. The region also boasts some of the most celebrated restaurants in Spain, including El Bulli and El Celler de Can Roca.
The property is home to Southern Europe's leading equestrian facilities, headed up by a member of Spain's highly regarded dressage training team. One of the world's finest facilities for training dressage horses, the centre can stable up to ten horses and boasts a 70- by 30-metre, all-weather covered track, a 70- by 30-metre outdoor track, a warm-up and lunging arena, six paddocks, spectator stands for up to 100 people, several acres of fields and living quarters for trainers.
Mas Mateu's other sporting extensive facilities include a dedicated swimming-pool complex, gym, football field, basketball court, paddle court, an outdoor barbeque, a summer kitchen housed in an ancient barn, and a cinema.
Suite Mas Mateu 1 x Queen-size bed; en-suite bathroom with shower and big tub; air conditioning/heating; TV; CD player; DVD player; phone; safe; iPod dock; fireplace; fridge; terrace
Suite Les Gavarres 1 x Queen-size bed; en-suite bathroom with shower and big tub; air conditioning/heating; TV; CD player; DVD player; phone; safe; iPod dock; fireplace; fridge; terrace
Suite Los Olivos 1 x Queen-size bed; en-suite bathroom with shower and big tub; air conditioning/heating; TV; CD player; DVD player; phone; safe; iPod dock; fireplace; fridge; terrace
Suite Pyrinee 1 x Queen-size bed; en-suite bathroom with shower and big tub; air conditioning/heating; TV; CD player; DVD player; phone; safe; iPod dock; fireplace; fridge
Suite Costa Brava 1 x Queen-size bed; en-suite bathroom with shower tub; air conditioning; TV; CD player; DVD player; phone; safe; iPod dock; fridge
Suite Mediterraneo 1 x Queen-size bed; en-suite bathroom with shower tub; air conditioning/heating; TV; CD player; DVD player; phone; Safe, iPod dock; fireplace; fridge
Suite Peratallada 1 x Queen-size bed; en-suite bathroom with shower and tub; air conditioning/heating; TV; CD player; DVD player; phone; lounge with sofa; fireplace
2 x double bedrooms
1 x bedroom with 4 x single beds
1 x studio room with 3 x single beds
Nearby:1-minute drive to restaurant5-minute drive to: town, church, clinic, grocery store8-minute drive to golf course11-minute drive to beach25-minute drive to hospital35-minute drive to airport150-minute drive to ski slopes
Located in an area called the golden triangle, so named for three reasons:
• Proximity to one of the most beautiful coasts of the Mediterranean: the Costa Brava (less than 10 km, 6.5 miles). On the Costa Brava you will find the region’s top beaches: Cadaques, Aiguablava Begur, Sa Tuna Begur, and Platja Castells Palamos
• The natural reserve (Les Gavarres) that stretches from the coast to the capital of the province, Girona.
• The culture and history of the area; there are plenty of well-preserved medieval villages, such as Peratallada and Pals which are a UNESCO heritage. Guided tours can be arranged.
However, guests will do well to venture beyond the golden triangle – the area (Empordan) is known as the Spanish Tuscany with plenty of interesting things to do:
• Empordan is the locale of Salvador Dalí – the renowned artist, who lived and worked between Cadaques/Port Lligat and Paris. There are three of Dali’s biggest museums in the area: his private residence in Port Lligat, the Dali museum in Figueres (most visited museum in Catalonia, including the Barcelona museums) and Castell de Pubol (his wife, Gala’s, private house).
• It is a world-class gastronomic area: The El Bulli restaurant of Ferran Adria was named as best restaurant in the world in 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009. More recently, El Celler de Can Roca was named as the best restaurant in the world in 2013 and 2015, and second best for three consecutive years. As well as these two famous restaurants, there are ten restaurants within a radius of a 50-minute drive from Mas Mateu that have 17 Michelin stars between them. The villa owner, who is close friends with most of the chefs of these restaurants, often invites them to spend weekends at Mas Mateu during the winter and due to his contacts, can normally arrange bookings for the villa’s guests at one of the restaurants. A matter of pride for Mas Mateu is that these chefs (depending on availability) are keen to come to Mas Mateu and cook private dinners for guests.
Michelin-star restaurants: Bo-tic (1*), Casamar (1*), Tinars (1*), Els Brancs (1*),Emporium (1*), Fonda Xesc (1*), Ca L’Enric (1*), Massana (1*), Les Magnolies (1*), La Cuina de Can Simon (1*) , Miramar(2*), Les Cols (2*), Sant Pau (3*), El Celler de Can Roca (3*)
• Explore the ruins of the first Roman and Greek village in the Iberian Peninsula.
• Natural sightseeing venues and points of interest: the marine reserve of Illes Medas, the National Park of Cap De Creus, Montgri castle and mountain, Cap De San Sebastia, Rice fFields of Pals, Vineyards of DO Emporda, coastal villages of Begur, Calella, Llafranc, Tamariu, Estartit, Escala, Cadaques, Port Lligat and Llança; medieval villages of Peratallada, Pals, Madremanya, Monells; and the commercial villages or cities of Platja d’Aro, Palamos or Girona.
• Activities in the area: skydiving, flying, hot-air ballooning, cycling, jogging, hiking (coastal or mountain), horse-riding, archery, clay shooting, karting, jet skiing, snorkeling, scuba diving, water skiing, windsurfing, surfing, kitesurfing, sailing. Guests can have an F1 GP driving experience; take a helicopter flight or with an ultra-light plane; rent a luxury car to explore the area where the WRC used to happen; charter a yacht and go deep-sea fishing.
• The top golf course in Spain, and one of the top ten in Europe, the PGA Catalonia, is one of three golf courses in the area. The closest is only ten-minutes away from Mas Mateu.
• Last but not least, Barcelona is only 1 hour and 15 minutes away.
The province of Emporda borders France in the north; to its east is the Mediterranean; Girona, its local capital lies to the west and in the south is Barcelona.
Disclaimer: the location on the map may be approximate due to privacy reasons.
© MyPrivateVillas 2019